UPDATE II: The GoFundMe has raised over $ 120,000 in less than 48 hours, with more than 900 donors.
“I am overwhelmed by feelings of love and gratitude for the support you have all given me so generously,” writes Brian Charles on the fundraising page. “I am devastated by this loss, but you all give me hope right now, and it seems miraculous. Words cannot express the love I have for this amazing community. My family and I are truly grateful for all of you.
UPDATE I: A GoFundMe was created to help Brian Charles and Zippah Recording Studios, with an initial goal of $ 50,000. The note from organizers Lisa Traxler and David Charles reveals that the “real damage” caused by today’s fire far exceeds the target amount.
They write: “Zippah’s unique instruments and all recording equipment are probably destroyed or damaged beyond repair. Many vintage and unique items resided within the walls of Zippah, a collection Brian curated over a lifetime of creating beloved recordings. As well as being a heartbreaking and emotionally overwhelming event, this fire created a huge financial burden for Brian and his family. His main income came from the studio. It will be very difficult to recover from this tragedy and the road ahead will be difficult. We would like to help him start this journey as quickly as possible. If you can help in any way, we hope you can. Thank you for your kindness and consideration. ”
A massive eight-alarm fire ravaged a building at 185 Corey Road in Brighton early Friday morning (December 17). The site, located on the Brookline border, is home to Zippa registration, a well-known and respected music recording studio owned and operated by producer / engineer Brian Charles. Below are footage from the scene, tweeted by Boston firefighters.
Charles, who is also a member of Boston’s alternative rock group The Sheila Divine, posted on Facebook that he was safe but “devastated.” Just last week Charles took to Instagram to show the newly renovated and expanded studio space.
The Corey Road building is also the former site of Music Maker Studios.
NBC10 reports that the fire started around 4.30 am and that a firefighter was taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries: “The fire spread to several floors and broke out from the roof of the old music school at 185 Corey Road… from the building to help ventilate the thick smoke. The flames intensified soon after. Thick black smoke swept through the neighborhood shortly after 5 a.m., firefighters said. All firefighters were ordered to evacuate the building and descend from the roof as they faced “zero visibility” due to a changing wind. The wind was gusting around 25 to 30 mph in Boston on Friday morning.
As word of the fire spread, many in Boston’s music community took to social media to share their concern for Charles and his beloved studio, which had been operating for three decades and under the ownership and Charles’s management since 2003.
“Still figuring out what it all means” tweeted Charles Sheila Divine’s teammate Aaron Perrino. “I feel so helpless and sad for my best friend. A life of work and dedication in a flash.
“We are so saddened, so many songs and EPs recorded here for so many years” remark The kid Gulliver. “We are thankful that Brian was not injured.”
Kay Hanley of Letters to Cleo tweeted: ” It’s tragic. I am crushed for Brian, all his staff and the magnitude of this loss. Shit.”
Nick Grieco of Actor Observer and Emo Night Boston added: “Absolutely devastated by the loss of one of the biggest studios in the country. Incalculable devastation for this city’s music scene.
We’ll post more information as it becomes available and pass any word on fundraising efforts to help re-establish the studio.
This is a developing story …